Best Lightweight Luggage Reviews in 2018 – Top Models Compared!
Lightweight luggage is the difference between getting to your destination with aches and pains from carrying and dragging heavy luggage and breezing through your whole travel experience. It’s the difference between your luggage being a carry-on or you having to pay an extra fee for your luggage in terms of weight limits stipulated at checkpoints.
The best lightweight luggage should be able to provide a hassle free way of moving from one point to another. Whether you are going for one day or one month, your choice of lightweight luggage should be able to meet all your space requirements while incorporating special features that ensure your luggage is as light as it should be.
Best Lightweight Luggage Comparison:
5 Best Lightweight Luggage in 2018
It should be noted that the more the features on the best lightweight luggage, the heavier your luggage may be. All the features are not compulsory and only what is necessary to you should be chosen first to ensure that your luggage isn’t heavier than necessary.
Samsonite luggage set comes with three hard sided suitcases. The three suitcases weigh 10.5, 8.3 and 6.8 pounds for the 28", 24" and 20" suitcases making them light weight. The suitcases are made in scratch resistant micro-diamond texture combined with 100% polycarbonate hence they can take on harsh travel elements while still maintaining their good appearance. They ride on 360º re-engineered lightweight spinner wheels for easy maneuverability in any direction. All suitcases are expandable so that you can come back with more than you went width or accommodate extra items without needing to add an extra bag.
The cases come with a telescoping handle for controlling the spinners. The cases also come with inbuilt TSA locks that ensure your luggage is safe wherever it is ensuring peace of mind. The main compartment of the suitcases are very spacious to allow you to fit your things. The luggage comes in various colors to meet your stylistic needs. It is however worth nothing that it is easy to exceed the set weight limits with the largest case as its size allows for packing of a lot of things
What we liked
- They are ultra-lightweight.
- The suitcases can be stacked.
- They are made of durable polycarbonate material.
- The exterior is made in a micro-diamond texture which is scratch resistant.
- It is made with lightweight spinner wheels for effortless mobility.
- All sizes are expandable to two inches providing room for extra space if needed.
- They come in a set of three which is good for heavy packing needs.
Have a sturdy handle with which to control the wheels.
- All three bags are airline approved carry-ons in some airports.
- They are fitted with TSA locks to ensure that you have control of who has access to them and for added security.
What we didn't like
- The hard-sided nature of the suitcase may prove problematic when it comes to storage when not in use.
This soft sided suitcase from Travelpro makes out top choice of best lightweight luggage. Its honeycomb framing system and EVA foam construction make for a lightweight and durable suitcase. It has four wheels that rotate at 360º providing smooth maneuverability and a smooth glide in all directions. The built in protective skid guards, corner guards and crash-guard wheel housing protect the wheels against potential damage during travel. It has a new patent pending contour Grip design with rubberized touch points that is specially designed for spinner model use. It has Airline-grade aluminum handle locks in two positions (38 lift and 42.5) making it comfortable to control the suitcase comfortably regardless of height.
It has a full length interior lid pocket, a side accessory pocket and adjustable hold down straps for holding down the suitcase's contents. The bag is also expandable but care should be taken so that the excess items added do not exceed any set weight limits. The extra pockets make packing easier and the outer pocket allows one to access frequently needed objects without needing to open the whole suitcase. The bag's dimensions are 25 x 18 x 11 inches and weighs 8 pounds.
What we liked
- It is ultra-lightweight.
- It is very durable.
- It is expandable.
- The different locking extensions allow for users of various heights without any additional strain.
- The pulls of the zipper to the inner pockets cross meet and have holes that line up to allow for a lock to be used.
- It has top, side and bottom cushioned handles for lifting.
- It is made of water and puncture resistant fiber in and out.
- It is spacious and can fit a considerably large amount of things.
What we didn't like
- They are too big for most airline requirements for carry-on bags.
This luggage from Travelers choice comprises of 3 hard-sided uprights. It is made of long-lasting polycarbonate ABS material making it both lightweight and durable. The polycarbonate allows the shell to absorb impact by flexing under pressure while the ABS material gives the shell rigidity so that it does not permanently deform under pressure. This is good as it can safely ferry your goods from point to point without fear of damage to any items in the suitcase regardless of handling or rough traveling conditions. It is fully lined inside with polyester. It has a lightweight aluminum dual-tube telescoping handle with a push button locking system with multiple-stage self-locking capabilities.
Two of the uprights (25 inches and 29 inches) have multi-directional spinner wheels for effortless maneuverability. The 20 inches upright has two recessed inline skater wheels that also ease maneuverability. The main compartment is spacious with an interior zippered garment compartment and exterior straps that secure and compress the load for easier packing.it has top and side carry handles for easy lifting. It also has a detachable quick clip that offers add-a-bag versatility.
What we liked
- It is a set of three meaning it versatile in its use.
- It has a detachable quick clip that allows you to add a bag.
- All suitcases are wheeled for easy maneuverability.
- It is hard sided that offers protection for all your luggage.
- The suitcases are spacious to allow to fit a lot of things.
- Top and side handles allow for easy lifting.
What we didn't like
- The hard-sided nature make them problematic when storage space is minimal as they fit in a specified amount of space.
Calpak 'Silverlake' 20-inch Carry-on hard-sided suitcase is made of abs material that is both best lightweight luggage and durable. The hard sided quality caused by the rigidity of ABS material makes it suitable to store fragile objects as it serves to protect the suitcases contents. It is expandable on the main compartment for up to 2 inches allowing for the traveler to fit in all they feel they require easily or to accommodate any extra items on the trip back if necessary. This however should be done with caution if there are weight limits present. It has a fully featured interior with 2 zippered accessory pockets, criss-cross elastic tie down straps as well as a zip around divider that allows you to create two packing compartments for even more convenience.
It has spinner wheels which are ideal when it comes to maneuverability and mobility. It has an easy top grab handle for easy lifting. It also has a heavy duty handle system with push button lock system and self-locking capabilities. The suitcase also has a mounted combination lock to ensure security and peace of mind for the traveler. The suitcases come in multiple color options to meet your stylistic needs. The bags dimensions are 19.5 x 13 x 9 inches which is very roomy and it is 7.9 pounds which is very light.
What we liked
- It has spinners which are ideal for maneuverability.
- It is hard sided to ensure the contents are kept safe.
- It has a safety combination lock for extra security.
- It has top grab handles for easy lifting.
- The suitcases is expandable to up to 2 inches to allow you to come back with more than what you came with.
- It has two zippered compartments for easier packing.
- It has tie down straps to hold clothes in place once packed.
- It has a self-locking retractable handle to make it convenient for travelers of various heights.
- Hard sided quality allows it to be stacked without affecting its contents.
What we didn't like
- It is hard sided which is usually a problem if you want to store it if the storage space is smaller than the suitcase.
This luggage set comprises of 4 hard-sided suitcases at 16 inches, 20 inches, 24 inches and 28 inches in height. They come one in the other which is a very good quality when it comes to at-home storage. The outer shell is made of wear resisting anti scratch premium ABS material that is both light and durable. The cases come with locks that ensure that they are secure and to give you peace of mind. All suitcases come with spinners for effortless maneuverability. They are multi-directional and rotate through 360º meaning that they can be easily controlled even in crowded rooms. They have sturdy handles to with self-locking capabilities.
The suitcases shells are water resistant hence they protect your belongings from damage from getting wet. The zippers glide smoothly making them easy to open and close. They come in two colors, black and grey. They are ultra-light at 5.16, 6.28, 7.39 and 9.7 pounds for the 16", 20", 24" and 28" suitcases respectively.
What we liked
- They are hard sided to ensure maximum protection for all your contents.
- They are all spinners which are ideal for easy maneuverability regardless of direction.
- They exterior shell is water resistant to ensure that your suitcase's content remain dry throughout the journey.
- They come in various sizes for versatility.
- They are spacious inside to allow you to fit most of what you need.
- They can be stacked if need be.
- The cases come one inside the other for easy packing when not in use.
What we didn't like
- They are hard sided which is not suitable for small storage spaces as they can’t be compressed into a space smaller than their width without damaging them.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Lightweight Luggage
Some features of luggage make your whole travelling experience more enjoyable. Some of those that should be considered when picking out the best lightweight luggage include:
Size and Weight Needs
The high rated lightweight luggage should be able to accommodate all your packing requirements while still meeting the weight threshold set at checkpoints if any. A balance has to be stricken between these two qualities. Size should also be determined by the purpose of the bag. A carry-on bag for example should be smaller as its allocated space is specified while luggage set to be fit in the trunk of your car should fit in that space.
While not mandatory, they hugely affect maneuverability. They provide a simple way of moving your luggage especially due to their multi-directional capabilities. Skater wheels prove to be more difficult in maneuvering since their movement is limited to back and forth. The wheels should also be inspected for durability. Some wheels have special features such as protective housing and magnets that keep them aligned.
While this is part of size needs. An expandable luggage case allows for one to utilize the same suitcase to accommodate more luggage than it can with its normal dimensions. It is well tested truth that things rarely fit in luggage on the journey back as well as they did before. An expandable suitcase solves this problems and some travelers decide to keep the expanded space for the journey. That allows them to fit in more souvenirs than if their luggage was already full when they were beginning the journey. Care should however be taken not to expand it so much that it exceeds any size or weight regulations set at check points
From using padlocks to TSA approved combination locks, the top lightweight luggage for you should offer security for your belongings. TSA locks should be your preferred choice as they also offer the option of allowing you to decide who has access to your luggage. This means that at all times, you know who can open your luggage which is important when more than one person has stored things in your luggage.
You should pick a telescoping handle that is able to support the weight of your luggage without breaking. Another important feature in handles is the ability to lock at multiple stages. This is the difference between the handle being uncomfortable long or short or it being just the right height for you. This prevents straining especially in the case of too short handles that require a little scooting to get to them or to drag them.
How often do you travel? How long do you normally travel for? These are some of the important questions that lead you to picking the perfect lightweight luggage for you. You should be willing to spend a little more on your luggage if it is utilized a lot as most good quality products are relatively more expensive that those of weaker quality. That is because the cost of purchasing quality materials and the cost of production would most probably be higher than that of production of luggage made of other materials of relatively lower quality.
Material it is Made From
The luggage should be light even when empty. Soft sided luggage are often lighter. That is because polyester and nylon are among the lightest materials used in making soft sided materials. Hard sided materials also have specialized materials that are used to ensure that the suitcase is light. They may not be as light as soft sided luggage but they are close.
ABS material is the lightest of the materials that make hard sided luggage but polycarbonate is stronger and heavier. Some luggage designers also decide to incorporate both good qualities so that the luggage is stronger while still being relatively light.
A hard sided luggage set is the ideal choice when it comes to offering protection to your luggage. This is especially important when part of the luggage includes fragile objects such as laptops and tablets. The exterior shell of the luggage provide your luggage with a cover as the material they are made of are strong hence able to resist pressure. ABS material is very strong while polycarbonate materials are more dent resistant as they flex when met with a force then go back to their original shape.
Age of User
This is particularly important with young ones. The right lightweight luggage for children should also be specially designed for children. Special features for children’s luggage include shorter handles, ride-on capabilities and a wide range of colorful designs that keep them interested in their luggage.
Various Colors and Designs
Whether your luggage fulfils its intended purpose is just as important as how your luggage appears. The best lightweight luggage for you should inspire confidence. It should be able to show your taste and should be able to meet your stylistic needs. You should feel confident throughout your journey and appearance is a key factor to this. This is because you exude more confidence when you are happy and you also happy with your luggage. Make sure you pick a suitcase that makes you happy.
Best Lightweight Luggage - Videos
Finally to recap, the top rated lightweight luggage is a different thing to different people. As you look at the various characteristics of different luggage, you should cross reference these characteristics with your wants and needs. You should look at the features mentioned above and if possible come up a list of which ones you think would be vital. This list may be in the form of a question and should include some of these questions:
- How long do I need to pack for?
- How many people am I packing for?
- What is our means of travel and do they have any special regulations?
- Do I have children with their own packing needs?
- What kind of things am I packing (fragile or non-fragile)?
- How safe will my luggage be and do I need special added security?
- How am I going to move my luggage, (wheeling or lifting)?
- How versatile is you luggage in terms of moving it? Are there any straps that allow you to carry it and how comfortable are they?
- Do I want a structured bag or an unstructured bag (Soft sided and hard sided luggage are structured while duffel bags are unstructured).
- How will I store it when not in use?
- How is the terrain and environment I am wheeling my luggage in if I decide to wheel it? Which type of luggage will be convenient for me (Two wheeled or four wheeled)?
- Do I want luggage with special compartments for easier packing?
- Do I need to stack my luggage anywhere? (This is particularly useful for travel by ship)
- Do I have a preferred brand?
In the end, you are the one that is going to use the luggage. This is because wrongfully chosen luggage will mean a harder travel experience than necessary. You will also feel like you did not get your money’s worth. Be sure to check reviews form other buyers of your chosen luggage set. The best lightweight luggage for you should have positive reviews and from other users who also bought it. Seriously go through negative reviews also to decide if they are negatives you do not mind dealing with. Armed with this knowledge, I know you will chose the perfect lightweight luggage for you.